Successful Emergency Response & Remedial Action
Using the Secoes Bioremediation OMBT Product
Please contact us directly for recent Bioremediation OMBT product trail case stydy information and data.
Meat Process Facility
Meat processing facility wastewater lagoon
High concentration ammonia and oil & grease reduction case study
Secoes performed a treatability demonstration at a wastewater treatment lagoon located at a meat processing facility. The facility was noncompliant regarding excessive ammonia and oil and grease discharges from the wastewater treatment lagoon system.
On February 19, 2016, a single dose of Secoes Bioremediation OMBT product was administered in accordance with our specific product dosing recommendations for this site (see study specifics section below) into two of three interconnected wastewater lagoons (ponds 1 and 3). Nine (9) wastewater samples were collected from the discharge of ponds 1 and 3 over the 19-day study period to determine Bioremediation OMBT product effectiveness. Although an unscheduled facility process line change occurred on day 6 of the study (resulting in the discharge of process line disinfection chemicals, phosphorous and ammonia, to the ponds on 2/25/16), significant pollutant reduction was still observed over the 19-day Bioremediation OMBT product study period as summarized below and presented in table 1 below. The study findings show that all of the pollutants evaluated were reduced, with ammonia-nitrogen, BOD and CBOD levels the most dramatically reduced.
Usage Study Specifics
- Meat processing facility uses three (3) wastewater lagoons (ponds 1, 2 & 3) to treat/reduce fats, oils & grease (FOG). Once treated, effluent is used as internal facility reuse and excess effluent is discharged into the POTW.
- (3) Interconnected ponds, where pond 1 feeds pond 2, & pond 2 feeds to pond 3
- Pond 1 – 900,000 gallons (10,000 sq. ft. x approx. 12 ft. water depth), with notable floating fats & oil present, no pond aeration or mixing present, with significant floating oil & grease visibly present in pond noted.
- Pond 2 – 900,000 gallons (24,000 sq. ft. x approx. 5 ft. water depth), aeration treatment in use
- Pond 3 – 1,500,000 gallons (50,000 sq. ft. x approx. 4 ft. water depth), aeration treatment in use
- Pond system influent and effluent daily flow rate: 70,000 gpd
- Pond 1 Bioremediation OMBT product dosing was 1 gal/100 sq. ft. (100 gallons), one-time dosing
- Pond 3 Bioremediation OMBT product dosing was 1 gal/500 sq. ft. (100 gallons), one-time dosing
Usage Study Results Summary
Overall % pollutant reduction (from discharge of pond 1 to discharge from pond 3)
- Oil & Grease – 99.8% overall reduction
- BOD – 99.9% overall reduction
- CBOD – 99.9% overall reduction
- Ammonia-Nitrogen – 97.5% overall reduction
- Phosphorous – 33.9% overall reduction
- TDS – 34.6% overall reduction
- TSS – 99.7% overall reduction
- Alkalinity – 47.2% overall reduction