Domestic wastewater applications
Domestic wastewater includes residential and light commercial wastewater. Domestic wastewater treatment processes include the entire wastewater collection system (the piping and lift/pump stations that move the wastewater from homes and businesses to the wastewater treatment facility) and the liquids and solids treatment management processes within the wastewater treatment facility. Bioremediation OMBT quickly and effectively degrades the pollutants most common to domestic wastewater, including fats, oil & grease (FOG), biological oxygen demand (BOD), chemical oxygen demand (COD), total suspended solids (TSS) and ammonia-nitrogen, in both the wastewater collection system and at the wastewater facility, plus the odors certain wastewater processes generate. The microbes in Bioremediation OMBT provide targeted treatment of pollutants, enhance existing aerobic and anaerobic treatment processes to provide increased pollutant removal efficiencies, and reduce wastewater solids (sludge) volume.
- Domestic wastewater collection systems and lift/pump stations
- Domestic wastewater treatment processes, including: preliminary treatment, primary treatment, secondary treatment (activated sludge-suspended media or fixed film), specific targeted treatment in process tanks, influent lift/pump stations, wastewater lagoons, etc.)
- Domestic wastewater sludge processes treatment to enhance volatile solids reduction and odors (including aerobic & anaerobic sludge treatment/management processes for sludge tanks, lagoons digesters, etc.)
- Septic systems & cesspools
DOMESTIC WASTEWATER PRODUCT SOLUTIONS
Domestic wastewater collection systems and lift stations – Bioremediation treatment of FOG
Domestic wastewater collection systems and lift (pump) stations are designed to move wastewater and associated solids. However, they are not designed to move the fats, oils & grease (FOG). Once in the system, FOG will stick to pipes and lift station equipment and accumulate within the system until these systems become completely clogged or lift station equipment (pumps and pump controls) malfunction, causing sewage to overflow the collection system and negatively impact the environment, resulting in regulatory non-compliance, and costly clean-up. FOG-related system clogs can cause sewage backups on public and private property. The cost of clean-up and processing of insurance claims can be significant – from $500-$100,000 depending on the situation. Considering this, it is far more cost-effective and environmentally beneficial to proactively use Bioremediation OMBT to proactively dose and treat collection systems and lift stations to control FOG.
Our Bioremediation OMBT product uses 100% natural, sustainable processes to treat and remediate FOG. The aerobic and anaerobic microbes contained in the Bioremediation OMBT product treats FOG, generating carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) as final products. This greatly differs from most competitor products that contain either oils, solvents or enzymes that do not fully treat FOG, but instead just partially break down FOG into forms that are easier to move through the collection system. When FOG is only partially treated (breaking down FOG into simpler molecules), these simple molecules will still be available to recombine in the collection system or the wastewater treatment plant once wastewater with different pH characteristics is encountered. It is far more cost-effective to use Bioremediation OMBT to completely treat and eliminate FOG from the collection system instead of moving the problem downstream to be retreated yet again (at even more cost). Our Bioremediation OMBT product can be dosed to the lift station or to the collection system. Since our product microbes will feed off the wastes within the wastewater collection system, they can have a positive effect not just at the dosing point, but in the downstream collection system! Other products with limited effectiveness and ability to treat FOG in multiple wastewater environments have to be dosed at more points throughout the collection system, resulting in increased dosing chemical costs.
Domestic Wastewater Collection Systems and Lift Stations
Comparison of Bioremediation OMBT Product with competitor products
Bioremediation OMBT product
- Effective, natural treatment using diverse microbe population (bacteria, archaea, fungi, algal protists)
- Complete treatment
- Treats FOG and H2S within the lift station and downstream collection system piping
- Fast, efficient treatment in diverse wastewater environments, using both aerobic & anaerobic microbes
- Lower product use costs
- Chemicals, solvents, or limited microbes are typical
- Incomplete treatment is typical
- Point only specific treatment, requiring multiple application points to treat both lift stations and collection system
- Partial or incomplete FOG treatment, and if microbes are used, typically only limited bacteria species are used, which are effective in limited wastewater environments
- Higher product use costs (from increase product dosing)
Domestic wastewater collection systems and lift stations – Bioremediation treatment of odors
Domestic wastewater collection systems and lift (pump) stations are designed to move wastewater that contains sewage. Given the amount of time the sewage resides in the collection system, and due to natural reduction of oxygen that occurs in wastewater over time, hydrogen sulfide will be released from the wastewater stream, causing odors and chemical impact on collection system materials (manhole brick and mortar, lift station pumps, metal and electric components). Once odors are released from the collection system, they can have a huge impact on residential and commercial customers.
Our Bioremediation OMBT product uses 100% natural, sustainable processes to treat wastewater (sewage) and the odors they generate (hydrogen sulfide). The aerobic and anaerobic microbes contained in the Bioremediation OMBT product provides effective wastewater treatment under various wastewater conditions, from the point of application and downstream collection system. Also, since wastewater is being treated, the oxygen requirement of the wastewater stream is reduced, thus further reducing the generation of hydrogen sulfide. This greatly differs from most competitor treatment products that contain odor masking agents, and do not treat the source of odors. When odors are only masked, this does not address the harmful effects of hydrogen sulfide on collection system materials or components.
Try Bioremediation OMBT today and see how we can help not only address your collection system odor problems and help extend the life of costly collection system assets through hydrogen sulfide reduction!
Bioremediation treatment of domestic wastewater facility processes
Domestic wastewater treatment facilities are designed to treat domestic wastes, including sewage and other pollutants generated by residential and commercial customers. However, many wastewater treatment facilities are not designed or are ill-equipped to treat fats, oils & grease (FOG), certain complex organic pollutants (petroleum hydrocarbons and other toxic organics), excessive ammonia and nitrogen, or microconstituents, which can be discharged to domestic wastewater treatment facilities. Our Bioremediation OMBT product is formulated with a unique blend of microbes that work symbiotically with typical domestic wastewater treatment facility microbes to provide augmented and treatment of typical domestic wastewater pollutants, as well as problematic pollutants that can interfere with wastewater treatment processes or pass through untreated, including:
- High-strength wastewater and excessive nutrients, including BOD, COD, TSS, ammonia-nitrogen
- Unusual influent discharges of complex organic compounds, hydrocarbon compounds, styrene, total toxic organics, & industrial pollutants
- Emerging pollutants (micropollutants: endocrine-disrupting chemicals, personal care products, and other biological active compounds)
Secoes Bioremediation OMBT product economic benefits
Domestic wastewater treatment facility process economic benefits
- lower treatment process complexity and asset costs
- decreased retention time requirements resulting in reduced treatment storage capacity requirements and associated costs
- reduced treatment costs associated with increased FOG treatment and reduced
- up to 40% decrease in sludge volume and associated disposal costs
Bioremediation OMBT provides enhanced treatment of wastewater due to the complexity of the microbes in our formula, which include:
60 +/- species of bacteria. The bacteria strains included in the Bioremediation OMBT product target both organic and inorganic pollutants in all types of environmental conditions and include the following types of bacteria:
- Aerobic bacteria
- Facultative bacteria
- Anaerobic bacteria
- Autotrophic bacteria
- Heterotrophic bacteria
- Halophilic bacteria
- Chemoautotrophic bacteria
- Chemoheterotrophic bacteria
- Chemoorganoheterotroph bacteria
14 +/- species of archaea. The Archaea species included in the Bioremediation OMBT product have significant pollutant reduction capabilities, including the oxidation of ammonia and simultaneous nitrification heterotrophically and nitrification aerobically in low, dissolved oxygen concentration conditions (as low as 0.3 mg/L). Also, archaea are typically two orders of magnitude smaller than bacteria, resulting in increased pollutant reduction efficiencies per unit volume of waste.
15 +/- species of fungi. The fungi species in the Bioremediation OMBT product enhance biodegradation of targeted pollutants by secreting extracellular enzymes that break down both conventional and toxic organic pollutants, which are then absorbed into the fungal colony and are ultimately removed from the treated wastewater stream. Fungi and the enzymes they secrete also remediate E. coli and degrade micropollutants (endocrine-disrupting chemicals, personal care products and other biological active compounds).
5 +/- species of algal protists. The algae protists in the Bioremediation OMBT product are microorganisms that act as bio-remediators when performing co-cultivations with fungal cells. Algal protists enhance the biodegradation of targeted pollutants, including COD, total oil & grease, total phosphorous, total nitrogen, and inorganic pollutants (including iron and zinc).
The Bioremediation OMBT product can be dosed directly to the following wastewater processes:
- Influent pump stations/headworks
- Unusual influent or off-spec wastewater diversion tanks
- Primary treatment clarifiers
Secondary treatment process (activated sludge-suspended media tanks, ponds or fixed-film beds, reactors)
- Wastewater ponds, including aerobic, anaerobic and facultative ponds
- Package plant process tanks
- Sludge processes (both aerobic and anaerobic process ponds, tanks, and digesters)
Bioremediation OMBT product uses 100% natural, sustainable microbial materials that are cost-effective to treat problematic wastewater, intermittent pollutant concerns, or to enhance wastewater treatment. Given the extensive time and cost required to design, construct, and operate advanced treatment facilities, Bioremediation OMBT product can be quickly and cost effectively used to address problematic pollutant treatment needs, prevent pollutant interference, pass-through, and regulatory non-compliance.
Domestic Wastewater Facility Processes
Bioremediation treatment of wastewater facility odors
Odors at domestic wastewater facilities are generally sourced from primary, secondary and sludge processes. Odors are generated from insufficient oxygen or aerobic conditions at the water-air or sludge-air interface. The Bioremediation OMBT product uses innovative, fast-acting, 100% natural, sustainable microbes to address odors as follows:
- Odors in secondary treatment processes by promoting aerobic treatment of wastes that cause odors
- Odors in wastewater treatment ponds by establishing & maintaining aerobic treatment conditions at the water-air interface
- Odors in sludge storage ponds by establishing & maintaining aerobic treatment at solid-air interface
Try Bioremediation OMBT today and see how we can help address your wastewater odor problems!
Bioremediation treatment of domestic wastewater facility sludge
Domestic wastewater treatment facilities use biological processes to reduce pollutants will generate sludge that requires management (reuse or disposal). Sludge management and disposal are costly processes and can often generate odors. As wastewater process flow rates increase, the costs associated with the management of increased sludge flows will also increase. The land needed to manage sludge is not always available. As communities expand and encroach upon wastewater treatment (and sludge management) facilities, odors generated by sludge become even more problematic for facilities to manage. Considering these limitations, initiating a program to promote sludge volume and odor reduction can be very beneficial. The Bioremediation OMBT product uses 100% natural, sustainable microbes to reduce sludge volume up to 40% in aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative ponds and odors in sludge treatment/storage ponds, and in stockpiled sludge.
Try Bioremediation OMBT today and see how we can help you reduce sludge volume and odors today!
Bioremediation OMB treatment to reduce wastewater facility sludge volume
The domestic wastewater treatment process generates two streams: treated wastewater and sludge. The sludge is comprised of certain pollutants removed from the wastewater, microbes used to bio-remediate the wastewater, and water. Sludge management and disposal is a costly process. As wastewater service areas (and populations) grow, the costs associated with the management of increased wastewater and sludge flows will increase. In urban areas, the land needed to manage sludge is not always available or is costly. Considering these limitations, initiating a program to promote sludge volume reduction can be very cost beneficial.
The Bioremediation OMBT product uses 100% natural, sustainable microbes to reduce sludge volume up to 40% by enhancing aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bioremediation processes and promote endogenous respiration of microbes by product-dosing in the following applications:
- Inoculation of primary treatment (clarifiers) to promote sludge volume reduction of the wasted solids in aerobic and anaerobic digesters
- Inoculation of wastewater treatment ponds to promote sludge volume reduction in the pond and the solids wasted to aerobic and anaerobic digesters
- Inoculation of sludge digesters directly to promote sludge volume reduction in aerobic and anaerobic digesters
Try Bioremediation OMBT today and see how we can help you reduce sludge volume!
Bioremediation OMBT treatment to reduce domestic wastewater facility sludge odors
Odors at domestic wastewater treatment facilities are generally sourced from Primary, secondary and sludge processes. Odors are generated from insufficient oxygen or aerobic conditions at the water-air or sludge-air interface.
The Bioremediation OMBT product uses 100% natural, fast-acting, sustainable microbes to address the following sludge-related odors:
- Odors in sludge treatment/storage ponds – product dosing to the pond will establish/maintain aerobic treatment at solid-air interface
- Odors in sludge storage piles and drying beds – product spraying or forecasting directly to sludge piles or prior to stockpiling (in digester) will promote volatile solids reduction and associated odors
Try Bioremediation OMBT today and see how we can help address your sludge odor problems!
Bioremediation treatment of septic systems and cesspools
Septic systems and cesspools (septic systems without a drain field) require periodic solids (sludge pumping) and microbe replenishment due to the harsh chemicals and detergents discharged to the system. When septic and cesspool systems have insufficient bacteria flora, they stop bio-remediating waste, resulting in waste back-up into the home or business, and costly system repairs or replacement.
The Bioremediation OMBT product is formulated with a fast-acting blend of anaerobic microbes to restore and boost the necessary natural enzyme processes that support septic system and cesspool treatment of wastes.
- Treats/reduces fats, oils & grease (FOG), surface scum & wastes in septic systems, cesspools
- Improves system performance
- Reduces drain odors
- Colonizes the entire system – from lateral sewer lines to the leach field
- Is 100% safe to groundwater
- Is non-toxic, non-pathogenic & non-caustic
- Product can be dosed directly to the toilet or utility sink drain
Bioremediation OMBT provides effective treatment for septic systems and cesspools. Given the high cost of system repair and replacement, make Bioremediation OMBT part of your proactive routine maintenance plan today!